Finn Dixon & Herling was founded in 1987 with a vision to create a dynamic, client-focused business law firm providing sophisticated, cost-effective, responsive and solution-oriented representation and counsel. This vision has guided our steady, organic growth as seen in our recruitment of service-focused, business-minded lawyers and the development of complementary business law practices that enhance our overall services to clients. Our Mission Statement, which also reflects that core vision, is as follows:
- Provide excellent, solution-oriented advice and counsel to our clients.
- Provide responsive, high quality service to our clients, colleagues and business partners.
We understand and appreciate that we are in a service industry and have centered our vision, as well as our client mission statement, around the foregoing ideals. Our unwavering commitment to clients has allowed us to steadily grow and attract like-minded colleagues with excellent qualifications. Simply put, our reputation is based on our people and the results they achieve for our clients.
We believe solution-oriented is not just a marketing term, but a responsibility that we owe our clients. It means that it is our job not simply to identify problems, but to provide our clients with practical solutions to those problems. This requires us to thoroughly understand each client’s business and enables us to anticipate a client’s needs and present solutions that are not only legally sound but tailored to accomplish the client’s unique goals and objectives. Some of the ways we deliver on this responsibility include:
- Identify the client’s ultimate goals at the onset, and continue to keep the client’s objectives in mind throughout the representation.
- Anticipate issues and developments, whether legal, business or process.
- Assess and outline risks, so that clients can make informed decisions on how to address them.
- Think creatively.
- Adapt to changing circumstances and avoid “one-size-fits-all” or doctrinaire approaches.
- Address the cost vs. benefit analysis and advise the client early and often to the legal costs and expenses of pursuing a particular course of action so the client can make informed decisions.
- Take a collaborative approach, where possible and appropriate.
- Remember that the client’s work continues when our work is done.
Similarly, we are committed to providing responsive advice to our clients. In order to accomplish this goal we strive for the following:
- Communicate with clients and colleagues in a “user-friendly” way on a real time basis.
- Be generally available and responsive to our clients and provide timing estimates when applicable.
- Keep our client team apprised of developments so that they may be responsive in a constructive and valuable way.
Importantly, our law firm structure allows us to be agile, adaptive and efficient. All of our attorneys are principally located in our Stamford office which allows us to achieve optimal efficiencies on client matters and significantly reduce the overhead burden that can adversely affect the quality, cost and timeliness of legal services. Similarly, we are deeply committed to a team approach – both internally and with our clients. Our attorneys and practice groups do not operate in “silos” but collaborate with each other and the client as a team. We are deeply committed to improving team efficiencies that allow us to fully leverage all of our relevant abilities for each client matter as appropriate.
We also adhere to the principle that we should not strive to be all things to all clients, rather we focus our practice to the areas of business law in which we are able to provide truly outstanding legal services in an efficient manner. For services that are outside our focus, we have developed strong relationships over the years with leading attorneys who embody our ideals in these other practice areas. These close working relationships with specific outside attorneys allow us to achieve efficiencies and maintain a level of quality that we believe would be difficult to achieve if we attempted to overly broaden our practice areas.
This commitment to our clients has served us well for over 26 years and we are truly grateful to our growing number of sophisticated national and international clients. Our firm has been ranked in the Chambers USA rankings top tier, “Band 1”, for Corporate/M&A law firms in Connecticut for the past 9 years and we believe this says as much about our firm and our people as it does about the quality of our clients.
For a complete list of our attorneys and their backgrounds, see Attorneys.
For a complete description of our practice areas, see Practice Areas.